Have you noticed that you are missing an eye? For amateurs to have fish at home, it is common to have doubts about the care of these animals and it is easy that sometimes there are situations in which one does not know how to act. Therefore, if you have observed this in your pet, it is normal that you worry, want to know what could have happened and if you can do something to help him. If this is your case or you are curious, keep reading this article of Pet O Club in which we answer your question about why my fish is missing an eye and what you should do in this situation to offer good care.
Causes why a fish is missing an eye
When we observe that our fish has lost an eye or even both, it is normal for us to be surprised or scared. For this reason it is good to be able to know what are the main causes why your fish is missing an eye:
- Wound with a branch
- Blow with a decorative object
- Attack of another fish
- Bacterial infection
- Fungal infection
Therefore, having decoration, trunks or plants that are somewhat pointed or rough, joining non-compatible species to cohabitate in the same aquarium, adding new individuals without quarantine or making incorrect water changes are the most common reasons why Fish can lose his eye or even both. As the entry of new fish without quarantine and a change of poorly made water promotes that various microorganisms spread easily producing common diseases such as white spot or other less frequent. In addition, mixing non-compatible species leads to problems of aggressiveness often due to territoriality so, for example, if you have a gurami fish we do not advise you to join with species such as betta or other guramis.
Also, if what you observe in your pet is not the loss but it has sunken-looking eyes, it can be tuberculosis and if what you see are whitish spots in the eyeball, it is likely to be cataracts.
Changes in a fish with loss of vision
Now that you have seen that your pet has partially lost his vision, or even if he has both affected eyeballs, you should know what aspects will change in him and his way of life from now on:
- The first thing you will notice, besides the lack of an eye globule or both, is that your pet is down and its activity is significantly reduced.
- It will have a lack of orientation, it will probably collide with some other fish or with the decoration.
- You may see him swimming something strange, sometimes on his side or in the same direction for quite a while and, generally, towards the side where he keeps his sight.
- You may have a temporary loss of appetite.
- Normally this behavior lasts about two days, which takes a little getting used to your current situation.
What to do if my fish is missing an eye
Now that you know several aspects of this situation, you are sure to ask how to help my fish that has lost an eye to be able to give it the best care and facilitate its life in the pond or aquarium where it lives. For this we advise you to follow these simple tips:
- If the cause is that there is sharp or rough decorative material, change it immediately to avoid further damage.
- If you have mixed non-compatible species, change them from tank and leave them separately from now on.
- When the problem is a disease it is necessary to apply some suitable medicine, for example, a product widely used because it is broad spectrum is methylene blue and it is recommended to add 1 drop per 4 liters of water.
- In case of illness it will be necessary to change the water progressively while performing the necessary treatment.
- If necessary, separate the injured fish in another aquarium with water from the tank it was in and treat it only to him if you think the problem is not a disease. In addition, this will reduce the stress that can cause your adaptation to your new life.
- Help him find the food while he is still disoriented, throw the food right on top of him or in front of him.
- Go to a specialist in aquarium to see all the details of the situation and to guide you to do the most appropriate in the case of your pet.
- Little by little you will see that it improves and that it returns to wake up as before to swim without colliding, to be with more animals and to feed well.
How a fish eats that has lost an eye
Fish that lose an eye globule or both or that go blind can continue to feed perfectly once they get used to their new condition. As we have already mentioned, the animal will take a couple of days to begin to get used to it and we will have to help him as much as possible, especially by putting the food at his fingertips.
Fish not only detect their food with sight and, therefore, one that has lost sight will adapt by learning to use more of their other tools to detect their food. There are species that detect the smell in the water and some that have movement sensors that help them locate the prey. Therefore, you should not worry about whether your fish will have a normal life again, since in a short time it will, but whenever you have doubts it is better to consult an expert in aquarium.