The teeth of cats, like those of people, also tend to accumulate tartar. It is convenient to eliminate it to prevent diseases related to the gums, which can even lead to the loss of teeth, among other consequences.
But what can be done and how to eliminate scale in cats? In a Pet O Club we will give you a series of tips for your cat’s oral hygiene, as well as other guidelines and remedies to prevent the accumulation of bacteria in your mouth that, over time, turn into tartar.
How to remove tartar in cats at home
The best way to eliminate tartar in cats is prevention. But how to avoid tartar in cats? This happens because you provide your pet a series of essential and basic care, which must include a good cleaning and hygiene of the mouth of the cat, which you must perform at least 2 times a week.
This brushing you have to do with a brush with soft bristles so as not to damage your teeth and gums. You will also need toothpaste that is specific to cats. It is better that the toothpaste has a nice taste for the kitten because it will be easier to clean your teeth and will not reject or complicate that you can brush your mouth. And, for many cats, this cleaning does not usually like them. Also, do not forget to make movements that are slow and smooth.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $36.98Was: $51.37
In those cases in which the cat is not allowed to brush, you may use other products, which are also specific to them. For example, there are liquid antiseptics. Its use is simple: impregnated gauze on it, so that it is a little wet, and with it you can clean your teeth more easily, with soft and circular gestures in favor of the gums. Some of these liquids are suitable for direct application in the drinking water of the feline.
Another alternative is to use mouth cleansers in spray, although this system is not exactly what most cats like because they tend to be scared with sound. But it is another option that you can take into account.
These simple gestures serve to avoid the appearance of tartar, since they eliminate the excess of the bacterial plaque from the teeth before they get to form tartar plates. However, if they are already formed, it is a very good option to do for several days in a row and so soften the tartar and, in this way, then remove it more easily at home with constant brushing and patience.
Professional cleaning to remove scale in cats
Even if you clean the cat’s teeth at home, every so often, it is convenient to take a veterinarian to do a professional and deeper cleaning, that is, a professional oral hygiene for cats. This appointment is absolutely essential when the tartar is already on your teeth and especially if there is a lot of it because, once it has made its appearance, you will not be able to eliminate it completely with the usual cleaning.
Normally, this professional cleaning does not hurt or bother because it is done under anesthesia so that, in this way, the vet does not have problems to access and clean any tooth and every corner of the mouth of our pet.
The advantage, in addition, is that on the same day the cat is as if nothing had happened and ready to continue playing and enjoying the home and food, unless the veterinarian tells you otherwise or some pattern.
Foods that help clean the cat’s teeth
Apart from the care of oral hygiene for the cat, you can implement another set of tips to avoid tartar in cats. In this sense, foods are good allies to prevent their appearance although, obviously, not all are worth. Next, we will tell you what kind of food to clean the teeth of cats are the most appropriate:
- One of the best options is that you give the cat with some periodicity something hard food, like the cat food, because with it they naturally scrape their teeth when trying to chop and chew the food.In addition, a cat eat foods that have a hard texture is good because it will stick less to the teeth and this will, in turn, to prevent the accumulation of tartar in your teeth. These objectives can be achieved with different types of products because there is a great variety.
- Giving specific feed for the teeth of cats is another of the best options, because in addition to what has already been commented, by its formula, it also helps to keep the teeth and gums in good condition.
- These foods are also in the form of candy to reward your cat.
- Whichever form is chosen, it is very important that the cat chews the food well because, otherwise, you will not get good results. If you notice that you do not chew enough, you will have to buy the feed or the sweets with larger size to force him to use his teeth to eat, instead of swallowing the pieces.
- Avoid giving very soft food if it is not necessary for your health.
In addition, they should play with rope and cloth toys, which help to clean the dental plaque and tartar, with an action similar to brushing and flossing that we use.
Anyway, do not forget to check with your veterinarian to show you the most suitable product and the best way to brush your mouth according to your needs and to set the appointment for professional cleaning.
This article is merely informative, in a Pet O Club we do not have the power to prescribe any veterinary treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
It is always convenient to take the cat at least once a year for a check of his teeth and mouth in general.